Skin allergies, such as dermatitis, eczema, and hives, affect millions of people each year. Itching, redness, and swelling of the affected area are common symptoms. Severe cases of skin allergies may make it difficult for patients to do everyday tasks. At the Center for Allergy and Asthma of Georgia, we provide effective skin allergy treatment remedies to help patients experience relief and a better quality of life. Our Georgia allergists will discuss your options and create a treatment plan that is tailored to your specific needs.
We offer five different skin allergy treatment options to our patients:
- Moisturizing lotions and creams. There are a variety of creams and lotions to help reduce the symptoms of skin allergies. These hydrating creams can help your skin stay moisturized and reduce the symptoms of itchiness, swelling, and irritation.
- Corticosteroids. Oral corticosteroids are usually prescribed if topical hydrocortisone cream has proven ineffective. This treatment is commonly used to provide relief for patients with eczema. Oral corticosteroids will help reduce itching and inflammation in the affected area.
- Allergy shots. Allergy shots are prescribed for patients suffering from a variety of respiratory and skin allergies. These shots are effective at treating eczema and contact dermatitis that is caused by exposure to environmental allergens, such as pollen, dust, and grass.
- Antihistamines. We provide over-the-counter antihistamines, such as Benadryl, to provide relief for certain skin allergy symptoms associated with eczema. These medications are often used to treat patients suffering from nighttime itching.
- Immunosuppressants. Immunosuppressants are often a last-resort treatment option. If all other more conservative treatment remedies have proven ineffective, it may be time to use more powerful treatments, such as immunosuppressants. These drugs, such as azathioprine and methotrexate, can provide relief from the frustrating symptoms of eczema.
Call Our Georgia Allergists Today at (404) 994-3574
The Center for Allergy and Asthma of Georgia provides effective and tailored allergy treatment plans. Whether you are suffering from mild symptoms or you have a severe case of eczema or contact dermatitis, our Georgia allergists will work hard to meet your specific needs so you can get your life back on track.
Contact our office today to discuss your options regarding skin allergy treatment plans.