If you suffer from seasonal allergies, you know how frustrating it can be to deal with itchy eyes, a runny nose, sneezing, and other persistent symptoms when Spring arrives. While alleviating allergies begins with a clean home, the process of cleaning itself can release massive amounts of dust and other allergens that can temporarily aggravate symptoms.
How can you overcome this dilemma? Consider these tips:
- Purchase a vacuum with a HEPA filter: Vacuum your entire home regularly with a vacuum containing a HEPA filter, which is 99.97 percent effective in removing microscopic particles from the air.
- Look for sources of water: Any freestanding water in a home presents an opportunity for mold to grow. Seek out leaky pipes or faucets and make it a top priority to seal them.
- Avoid products with fragrance: Many cleaning products contain fragrances that can actually exacerbate allergies. Opt for fragrance-free products instead.
- Clean efficiently: Clean and dust from top to bottom, left to right, and inside and outside. Not only does this eliminate unnecessary work, but it will also reduce your exposure to things that might trigger allergy symptoms.
- Trap dust, don’t spread it: Feather dusters just spread dust around and into the air. Instead, use something that will trap dust, such as a damp microfiber cloth.
- Pay extra attention to your bedroom: People spend approximately one third of their lives in their bedrooms, so focus your cleaning efforts here.
- Know your limits: Know your triggers and limits. It may be worth it to hire a professional, or to visit an allergist to get tested to identify specific allergens. This can provide you with a more targeted approach when it comes to cleaning.
If you feel like your life is controlled by your allergies, the time is now to contact a Board Certified Atlanta Allergist at the Center for Allergy and Asthma of Georgia. We provide individualized support for a variety of allergy conditions and offer same-day appointments at any of our eight convenient office locations. Book an appointment online!