A recent study that was published in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology revealed that up to 16% of people who suffered from allergies were not using their EpiPen® injectors correctly. EpiPen®, a brand of an epinephrine injector, is intended to prevent anaphylaxis in the event of a severe allergic reaction, and keep the symptoms at bay until the sufferer can receive proper medical care.
How Anaphylaxis Begins
This demonstrates a problem, especially for those patients who may suffer from a sudden reaction. One of the most serious allergic reactions that can occur is anaphylaxis. The reaction is so severe that it affects the entire body.
The symptoms of anaphylaxis may include:
- Quickened pulse rate
Common triggers for an anaphylactic reaction could range from a food allergy to a bee sting. Upon exposure to the allergen, emergency medical attention is necessary, as it could lead to unconsciousness, and in the worst of cases, even death. Taking the correct dosage of EpiPen® is critical.
The problem lies within the fact that, of the percentage who are not using the EpiPen® correctly, are not receiving 100% of the necessary dosage. Doctors recommend keeping the device injected into the body for at least 10 seconds to deliver the entire dosage. Remembering that this medicine is intended to prevent anaphylaxis.
On behalf of our board-certified allergists at Center for Allergy and Asthma of Georgia, we want to make sure that you understand all of the necessary steps when it comes to taking your medication correctly. If you have been prescribed an EpiPen®, we can discuss with you the proper procedures for administering the medicine correctly. It is our responsibility to you, as our patient, to provide the utmost of care for your allergy symptoms and prevent any complications and other life-threatening consequences.